Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Emotional overload

Do you ever have a series of days when the emotions get a bit overloaded? I've had a few of those days....

I received a letter from a friend of mine working in a foreign country. This friend describes a scene from life that made me pause, and continues to do so as I ponder it. This friend witnessed, first-hand, the death of an elderly man who was not a believer in Jesus. The look of sheer terror in this man's eyes as he took his last breaths on this earth will remain forever embedded in the mind and heart of my friend. My friend has realized anew the significance of being salt and light on this earth and sharing the love of Jesus with everyone! This story has brought to my mind those in my life who do not know Jesus...and my heart breaks anew....

On a completely different vein...I drove up to the gate in front of my house at about 10 p.m. on Monday night. A man was weaving back and forth on the sidewalk....obviously drunk, but what he was doing baffled me....he was walking along, zipper open, urinating as he walked. His two drunk friends were standing and just laughing at him as he left his trail along the sidewalk and weaved his way down the street. I couldn't decide whether to be disgusted or sad...I think a bit of both filled my heart.

Sunday morning, I watched a sermon via internet, streamed from a church in the U.S. This church has been rocked in the last few months, and the current pastor got righteously angry on Sunday, screaming at people to "shut their mouths!" and quit the gossip and slander! Once again, I sat, asking the Lord, "How am I to respond?" I was quickly reminded of Jesus going into the temple and expressing righteous anger at sin.

Emotions are flaring to extremes everywhere these days...what we do with them is crucial.

No comments: