Friday, January 30, 2009

Thoughts on Transition

Ok, ok, I know, I should get my own quotes...yes, I admit, I lifted this from Tom Foley's blog. But it's so very good and appropriate right now. Forgive me, Foley, for not asking first...hope you don't mind.... :-)

“… when the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of changing, we are ripe for making a move. The emotions that we feel in response to what we have seen might be volatile during this time, but they serve a good purpose - they give us the energy and resolve to begin preparing to move in a new direction.” (Barton, Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership, p.91)

I would add that a very important quality to possess during times of transition is extreme flexibility and tolerance for a bit of chaos. As I sit here with piles and piles of bills from the past 5 years littering my living room, a box filling up with things for Foley to take back to the U.S. for me in two weeks time (that's also in the middle of my living room), I am learning in new ways how to live fully in the moment while also preparing for what's next.

No comments: