Monday, January 26, 2009

Thought from Henri J.M. Nouwen

I love this reflection...I'm writing my own book on freedom and forgiveness and this simply echoes what God is teaching me and what I hope to pass along to others!
Forgiveness, the Way to Freedom

To forgive another person from the heart is an act of liberation. We set that person free from the negative bonds that exist between us. We say, "I no longer hold your offense against you" But there is more. We also free ourselves from the burden of being the "offended one." As long as we do not forgive those who have wounded us, we carry them with us or, worse, pull them as a heavy load. The great temptation is to cling in anger to our enemies and then define ourselves as being offended and wounded by them. Forgiveness, therefore, liberates not only the other but also ourselves. It is the way to the freedom of the children of God.


Share your thoughts on this reflection. These reflections are taken from Henri J.M. Nouwen's Bread for the Journey.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't it interesting how forgiving others is one of the hardest things for us to do, and how much pain is associated with not forgiving? What is more amazing still is Jesus' example for us, even as he was dying on the cross. The fact that He was forgiving us until the end tells me that it is one of the most powerful acts we can do. I'm convinced that we can't do this alone, but the good news is, we don't have to.