Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Retirement funds in Hungary - just a picture to ponder

I had a conversation with one of my classes of seniors this week and the topic of how much retirees receive for their pension came up.

What the average Hungarian retiree gets is about $360/month. For policemen or firefighters, the average is about $639/month.

Now, some may think, "Well, the cost of living in Hungary is less than elsewhere....

So, only adding up my monthly bills for gas/electric/cable/water/internet, car insurance, cell phone, and gasoline, I pay, on average, approximately $495/month.

Were I to add in rent, food, clothing, household needs, cat food and cat litter, and enteratinment-----well....I definitely couldn't survive on the average Hungarian firefighter's retirement compensation.

It's no wonder then that extended families live together; in most working families, both parents work full-time jobs and still, it's challenging to make ends meet.

No comments: