Saturday, January 03, 2009

New wine

I flew home to Hungary on Dec. 30, 2008. My seat was in the first row in economy class directly behind business class. The plane was jammed full and I was reading a book when I looked up to see a woman with a back-pack, another carry-on bag and a baby in a car-seat struggling to walk up the aisle. She was only able to sort of 'shuffle' up the aisle and I looked around and saw many watching her struggle.

Before I knew it, I was out of my seat, and quickly asked her as I reached out for the car-seat if I could help her. She looked at me with grateful eyes and told me her seat number...which was clear in the back of the plane. I received some interesting looks from people on the plane...I'm not sure why...maybe because she and I were clearly of very different nationalities...or maybe some other reasons...it doesn't matter.

She was very, very grateful and my heart went out to this woman travelling alone with a tiny baby and large bundles.

I don't share this story to toot my own horn....because I can take zero credit for leaping out of my seat like I did. That credit goes to the Holy Spirit within me whose heart is FOR people in need. I also share this because of what happened later.....

Dinner was served a couple of hours later, and on most international flights, all drinks are free. I sometimes enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner, so I asked for one. The flight attendant said, "A glass of wine is 6 euros." I then changed my mind and asked for water. About two minutes later, the flight attendant from business class came walking up and handed me a small glass of wine, smiled and turned back to her duties in business class. I mustered a surprised "thank you", and wondered what that was all about.

Gently and quietly, I believe God was giving me this small gift...a glass of 'new wine' as an act of His amazing grace. Maybe that flight attendant saw me helping that woman with her baby and this was her way of saying thank you. But here's what the Lord spoke to my heart:

"I paid the price...I turned water into wine to celebrate a wedding feast...I love you because you are My bride, and I want to pour My new wine into you in this new year...just receive from Me!"

I love when God shows me in the natural His passion for me and for His children. I pray His new wine pours into and through you every day of this new year, that you can hear His promptings and receive every blessing He longs to pour out to you by His amazing grace!

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great story of sowing and reaping... now, what airline was that? a USA carrier?

Arden Campbell Czaszewicz said...

American!