Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It warmed up today, and other random thoughts

It warmed up to just above freezing today...but only after a night of sleet like rain which froze on all the streets and caused slipping, sliding, accidents and near misses! A friend of mine had to jump into a ditch on the side of a road while waiting for her bus because a car came sliding out of control off the road toward her!

I was squinting for the bright sunshine as I came out of the swimming pool this afternoon and realized it had been days without any sunshine. Amazing what a difference it makes in one's attitude!

We are giving grades this week...first semester is now over. I hate this part of teaching. However, in ALL of my classes, I only gave one 3 (which is equivalent to a C) and the rest were 4s and 5s (like Bs and As)! I do enjoy teaching students who are motivated...unfortunately, those are becoming more and more rare, even here in Hungary. I have some of those, "I'll do just enough to get by" kinds of students and it is challenging...but I love them anyway.

Some of my colleagues are thinking of going abroad next year to work. Financially, this country is truly hurting and a hard-working person trying to support a family is hardly able to do so, even with 1 1/2 full-time jobs! The economic crisis has hit everywhere, hasn't it?

Well, enough of random thoughts for today....

No comments: