Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Living overseas

I've been doing a lot of contemplating as of late about the excitement and challenges of living overseas, cross-culturally. What I'm about to share will most likely resonate deeply with those who have or who are living cross-culturally...by that, I mean that you have moved from your home country and you are now living in a foreign country. However, it may not hit so deeply with those who have never lived overseas for any length of time, simply because you "haven't been there or done that." I'm not saying my experience is unique or the only way to look at this very interesting phenomenon, but I do hope that all who read this will take into consideration some of the personal experiences I have had and I know others have shared with me as well.

First, living cross-culturally is exciting! Every day is a challenge, especially if you are living in a country where a different language than your mother tongue is spoken. There's always days of complete humility as you stumble through trying to buy "your daily goods". It's extremely character building, and at first very exhausting. I think, though, you reach a point where you really don't care anymore about the mistakes you make because you realize you will probably always have at least some mistakes in the language!

It's also exciting learning about another culture and growing to love it and in some ways, adapt to that culture...without compromising ethical and moral standards, of course. After having lived in Hungary for a total of 9 years now, I know I've become quite Hungarian in many ways; however, I am still an American and always will be...which brings up a constant tension that surfaces from time to time.

For those of you who've never lived overseas, please try to follow and understand...no matter how long you've lived in a different culture, you still need regular and in-depth, committed contact, support and encouragement from those in your home culture. Quite honestly, I don't fully "understand this" except that I've talked to many who say this is absolutely essential to spiritual, mental, and emotional health. I agree with them. No matter how "adapted" or "at home" one becomes in a cross-cultural setting, there remains the deep-seated need to "connect" with friends and family in one's home culture. Some of you may be saying, "Duh, this is so basic!" But, there are some I've spoken with who know, like me, that almost "ache" to "connect" on a somewhat regular basis with those in one's "mother culture". Most of the time, at least for me, it's to know what is going on with those people there...they know what is going on with us living overseas cuz we flood their email boxes with letters and updates!

This challenge leads to another very positive outcome, if we who live overseas choose to take it: it's a chance to draw even closer to God and literally, as the praise song says, find our "all in all" in Him alone. I love how God has done this with me because I've never known the intimacy I have with Him more than I do now; however, God did not create us to be alone or to be without community. Of course those in our home culture cannot "be" a physical community for us...that's a no-brainer...and God does provide "on the field" those with whom we can be in community. It's very, very different, though, and something, like I said, that most people who've not lived overseas, cannot fully relate to...I am in no way complaining, just voicing what I've learned myself and heard from others.

So, why write all this? Those of you who know people living cross-culturally, continue to pray fervently for them; continue to email them or call them regularly...you have no idea how much of an encouragment that is to the person who is far from family and home-culture friends. Those of you living cross-culturally, keep pressing in to your Heavenly Father and drawing everything and MORE from Him. He is your sustenance in ways only you can understand/comprehend because of your situation where you are. He, however, knows it better than even you do! He longs to meet you there and bring comfort, even when the calls and emails and letters wane. He is taking you to places spiritually that will be unique to you and Him alone simply by virtue of you living cross-culturally.

I'll end this tome and await any feedback....should be interesting!

3 comments:

DannyBezzi & Vicki said...

I can't say that I know how it is to live "cross culturally",but having been in several countries with several different languages and cultures,I find it VERY challenging just to find anything that you need,let alone finding someone that can be your "connection" so to speak...I do know that even living in my homeland ,if I am not connected to some "community" (other than just family) I can suffer great loss emotionally as well as spiritually.
I will say that I truly admire ,and someways am "jealous"?of what you and many others that I have met,that have dedicated their lives to ministry outside their countries.I appreciate the thing that you give up to do this work, but I know that Gods infinite love ,grace and mercy ,fills in some of that lack of "community".
I can see wher God is beginning a work there to establish a community
that will help you to grow in strength.I for one never regret taking the time to be a part of your "community" and to pray and to listen.I especially think its awesome that I have a friend 4000 miles away that I know prays for me and I for them....Be Blessed ,Dan

Unknown said...

thanks Dan! It means a lot what you wrote!

Anonymous said...

I've never lived overseas, but I think what you've said makes a lot of sense. I'll admit that it's easy to let communication slide after a while. After four years, I don't communicate regularly with any of my high school friends anymore. We have each developed new friendship webs and support systems, but I can see how it would be totally different living overseas. Thanks for the reminder of how important our role is in continuing to encourage and pray for our friends serving God overseas.