Friday, October 12, 2007

Correct scales

Nearly everyone I see says to me, "Arden, you look like you've lost a lot of weight?" I tell them, well, when I get on the scale, it says I've lost about 4 pounds is all. Most don't believe me, saying I've lost much more.

So, I got on the scale last night, and it actually said I had lost no weight; but it's true, my clothes are not fitting the way they used to, and belts are becoming a necessity rather than a decorative thing. My friend got on the scale and her weight was totally off...the scale said she weighed about 6 pounds more than she really weighs.

So, today I went to the market and bought a new scale. I brought it home and lo and behold, I've lost 5 pounds since the summer! How important are correct scales? Correct measures?

I got to thinking about this and the Lord reminded me that the only scale by which we can measure our lives spiritually is the Word of God! It's His Holy Spirit in us, checking, turning, convicting and guiding us into the Truths that line up with the perfect scale, God's Word. If we try to live by other scales or measurements, people's thoughts or opinions, a false teaching or religion, our own limited human reasoning, or the lies that constantly bombard us, then we are sure to get a "false" reading and be "off". The only scale that is 100% accurate for our lives is God's Word as taught to us through His Holy Spirit living within us. That is the perfect "measure" for our lives!

No comments: