Friday, October 16, 2009

Whew what a week!

I turned the heat on in my house this week! Plus, it's been a CRAZY week for me. Not only have I had to hoof it and get some things corrected on my taxes, but also I've had a VERY sore arch on my left foot for two days which has me limping. Distractions. Distractions. Distractions. Distractions.

Am I distracting you by writing the word 'distractions' so many times? I'm learning about distractions a lot this week...those things which keep us from focusing on the things that are most important. Now, truth be told, if we truly stopped and asked ourselves the question: What ARE the things that are most important? I wonder what we would come up with? So, when you come up with that, hopefully, short list of the things which are important, I want to challenge you to ask yourself, "Why are those things important? What makes those things important? And stretch and ask THIS question:

Of what eternal value are the things that I consider to be most important?

I don't ask this to point any fingers...instead, this is the question that I am facing and I thought maybe some of you might want to face it as well and really spend some time grappling with it.

Well, some of you might say, "I don't have time to spend time grappling with that question...I have more important things to do!" Ok, then just stop for 15 seconds and ask yourself: "What is MORE important than asking yourself the question: OF WHAT ETERNAL VALUE ARE THE THINGS THAT I CONSIDER TO BE MOST IMPORTANT?

Now, I know I have some atheist and agnostic readers out there who are thinking that my question is completely irrelevant because either 1. maybe there is no God and thus no eternity and thus no eternal value, or 2. there is no God and therefore nothing has any eternal value. Ok, if you are one of those readers, then I challenge you, still, to ask the question: What are the most important things you spend your time doing? But follow it with the question: WHY? And my challenge to you is this: if it only has value for the moment, for the here and now, but for no other reason, then why value it? The moment passes, this time passes. You may say, "to make memories." Or "to enjoy the moment now." Great...I'm all for enjoyment and fun, etc., but then you die and it doesn't matter anyway, at all. That, to me, is futility and the epitome of emptiness.

Ok, didn't mean to get into sermonizing there...sorry.

Back to the "whew what a week!" Not only have I been hit with distractions of many different sorts, but I've been challenged to the hilt in my classes and in my dreams and personal times with the Lord. Life, for me, always has been such an incredible adventure with God, and that adventure is just accelerated here 10-fold! I love it!

There is a huge prophetic conference here at IHOP this weekend, and as part of my service during my internship, I get to drive the shuttle bus tonight from 7:30 - midnight! Whoo hoo!!! What a GREAT adventure this life is!

No comments: