Sunday, October 11, 2009

More specific randomness

End of week two of Intro has come and gone. Tomorrow is my sabbath day. I plan to go to the Y and work out and then grade essays for my 17 online students. Then I'm meeting friends again at Grinders downtown for dinner....Hungarian cuisine. Chicken paprikas!

Toby is sleeping peacefully next to me on the sofa. Simon is being the grand explorer tonight, making his way in and out the cat door. His new favorite place in the house is anywhere near a vent because I've turned the heat on...yes, it's cold here in Kansas City; cold enough to turn the heat on!

The sermon in church today was on extravagant giving. It's the most amazing sermon I've heard on giving ever in my life. The minister gave numerous personal examples of how God has honored him and his wife's decisions to give extravagantly into the work of God's kingdom. One story I loved was when he was still a teenager and bought a bunch of Bibles, in faith, for $301.24. He didn't have the money, but by faith put in the order. When the Bibles showed up, he got a call to come pick them up. He still didn't have the money, not even $1. As he was walking out the door to go and tell the people he'd ordered the Bibles from that he was sorry, but he didn't have the money, he got a call. "Hey, there's a check for you." He picked up the check on his way to where the Bibles were and the check was for $301.25! He had told NO ONE the cost of the Bibles and that he didn't have money to pay for them...he only told God. The challenge: are we willing to sow extravagantly into God's Kingdom and believe Him to provide for us?

I also received a very, very shall we say "challenging" letter?!? Those of you who are prayer warriors, please pray for me, that God would work EVERYTHING out according to truth, justice and His perfect will! Thanks!

Ok, Simon is back inside, it's late, and I'm tired. It's been a GREAT week.

No comments: