Monday, October 12, 2009

Reverse culture shock

Yes, reverse culture shock is a reality. The term 'culture-shock' is an interesting one, an experience that only people who have traveled or lived outside of their home country can relate to. It encompasses all of life from the simple to the complex. It includes 'struggling' with basic things like buying food or understanding currency exchange rates to more complex things like language barriers and navigating public transportation (or the lack thereof), eating unfamiliar foods and figuring out what is culturally acceptable when going to visit a person in their home. "Do I take off my shoes or not? Do I bring a gift or not? What kind of gift would be appropriate? How do I greet them...with a handshake, bow, kisses on the cheeks, a hug?"

I'm going through reverse culture shock a little bit at a time. Today's experience was realizing that I literally must drive everywhere to get anywhere "useful". Ok, I've already experienced this, but today, it was bugging me. We Americans basically spend our days in our houses, our cars or in the places we drive to, and the distances are simply downright far. I actually miss the 'crowdedness' of the city and the streets and sidewalks teeming with people, morning, noon and night. I feel like I'm in a vast expanse of openness...which in some ways can be nice, but today, it felt very lonely and distant. (Can you tell this is difficult to explain?)

Anyway, that's enough for this blog.....

2 comments:

Syble said...

yes, one day i called my hubby crying and said, "we are blessed to have 2 cars....but I miss public transportation....."......I know!

Arden Campbell Czaszewicz said...

Yes, remember train travel and being able to read, take a nap, walk around, all while enjoying getting from one place to another? Ah, those were the days!