Friday, March 24, 2006

Model United Nations

I'm enjoying a couple of days in Budapest as the "sponsor"/"chaperone" of 5 high school students who are participating in a Model UN, put on by a bilingual high school. 4 of the 5 students and I came last year as well, and this year it is a roaring success. There are students from many different countries, all taking their "responsibilities" very seriously, and I am amazed at the level of English they are using to communicate United Nations' level resolutions.

I have very little responsibility...in fact, virtually none. So, this is a great time of R&R for me, and I'm getting lots of reading done. Maybe I should pay close attention to the debates; maybe I should go from room to room to support and encourage the kids; but really, no adults are "allowed" to be there....it's completely student-run.

These kids LOVE this!!! They are so into it, taking everything very seriously, and doing excellent work. These are the movers and shakers of this generation...and even they, when it is all over at the end of the day, head to the pub to enjoy socializing together. My "duties" here are a far cry from what I would be expected to do in the U.S., where I would have to watch their every move...here, these kids are considered adults, and I am simply the "safe-guard"....in emergency, call on me. So, I'm off to finish one book, and start another.

No comments: