Monday, March 06, 2006

Cultural difference #652

During my Hungarian lesson today, we were talking about the weather and weather forecasts/reports, etc. In my text book, there is a "weather report" in which it says the following, (rough translation): "A strong warm front will be coming and those who get headaches or 'feel' these fronts, you will feel this one strongly. Drivers, take care when driving because of these people who "feel" these fronts."

I had to smile and I asked my teacher if it is because someone might be driving and suddenly get a horrific headache and cause a crash? She said, "Yes, or if someone is walking on the street and "falls ill" because of the weather front, then drivers should be aware of these pedestrians."

I was trying to think if anything like this would ever be included in a weather report in the U.S. The closest comparison would be that an ice storm is coming so: "Drivers, be careful on the roads because they will be slippery!"

I can attest to the fact that indeed, when weather fronts come through here, I feel them in my body!!! So there is some logic to all of this!

No comments: