Tuesday, March 21, 2006

House Cleaning

Today was the day. I grabbed the bucket and the sponge and gloves and tackled the two living room windows that face the busy street in front of my flat. After cleaning the screen and sills of one window, the water was BLACK. Of course it was black after the second as well. Then I decided to tackle the lounge chair pads on my balcony, which sat out all winter...I tossed the first one in the bathtub and started running the hot water...the water promptly turned BLACK. I washed and rinsed that thing 4 times, and finally, at the end of the 4th rinsing, the water was "relatively" clear. The second pad was the same.

Each time I watched the black water swirling down the drain in the tub, I thought, "I didn't think the windows or those pads were THAT dirty! They didn't 'look' that dirty or 'seem' that dirty."

How similar this is to our own lives and our own sin..."I'm not THAT bad! I don't 'look' that sinful or 'seem' that bad."

The Bible says that "there is no one righteous, not even one" (Romans 3:10).

Yet, there is hope and a TRUE promise: "For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God." (1 Peter 3:18)

As the clear, clean water poured out of the tap in the tub, I was reminded of how we are washed clean and pure by Jesus Himself, through the Holy Spirit, which He has poured out into the hearts of those who believe!!! It is His righteousness alone that can wash away my sin.

No comments: