Saturday, February 14, 2009

A slice of my life in Szeged

Yummy fresh veggies!

This is where I usually buy my boneless chicken breasts and where I got my 17 pound turkey for Thanksgiving this year!


The sign says: "Vegetable - Fruit Island"! Again, fresh, fresh, fresh!!!



This is a typical crowded Saturday morning. It truly is a place of fellowship for many!




Yep, that's beer they are drinking at 9:30 in the morning.



Since I'll be departing this beautiful country this summer, I've begun carrying my camera around to capture memories of life here.




This morning, I had to go get some fruit from the market which is about 1/4 mile from my front door. (I will REALLY miss this place!)



You know you have been in Hungary a long time when you walk into this hall where there are many little shops selling everything from lottery tickets to cheese, from fresh fruits and meats to pizza, and you are no longer surprised to see elderly men (and sometimes women) gathered around tables and drinking beer at 9:30 in the morning (or earlier)! Sadly, alcoholism is a huge and growing problem in this nation.




Going to the market is a Saturday morning routine for me, and it is definitely a cultural experience. Today, I realized I had no stockings for tonight's prom, so I knew there was a place at the market where I could select a pretty pair...indeed, you can find just about everything here.

1 comment:

Ms. Sassafras said...

SO FUN TO SEE THESE PICS. Brings back great memories.