Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Bal....or in American English - Prom!

My 12b class performing Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

My 12a class performing and Indian song.


Laci and Agi from my 12b class.


Ah, the beauty of young people waltzing!




Luca and Bence from my 12a class waltzing!




I was keenly aware that this could be my last prom celebration in Hungary for a while! So, I drank in every moment and tried to capture some of the best memories! More pictures will appear on my facebook page, but these few give you a taste of prom here in Hungary. I've written about this before, but for new readers, here are a few details.



Seniors have their prom before they take final exams in early May. Parents and other family members are invited and the dinner takes place at the prom location. Teachers are also invited and included in the festivities! I love the way prom is done here in Hungary!



From 6 p.m. til nearly 8 p.m. this year, students performed special dances, including the Vienna Waltz, the English waltz and others. This year, for a change, each senior class also performed their own choreographed dances!



Following the dances comes the champagne toast, offered by the headmaster of the school, and then the classes retreat to various classrooms in the school where they and their parents enjoy dinner. Teachers also enjoy dinner together in the main staff room, decorated especially for the occasion.




A disco follows the dinner and students, teachers and some remaining parents (most have gone home by now) enjoy dancing the night away! I will miss this event!

No comments: