Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cat fights and vet visits

Two weeks ago, I came home to find my cat Simon with a very tender left leg. He hissed at me and anyone else who tried to pick him up or touch his leg. It seemed to me he may have gotten into some thorns or something, so here we were off to the vet once again.

Turns out, my shy little Simon had gotten into a cat fight and gotten a good bite from another cat on his leg. Poor little guy! Thankfully, they have long-acting anti-biotics now and he has been sporting a cool new look...one shaved leg! I think it will be a new fashion amongst cats in the neighborhood quite soon!

Since then, he's not wandered out of the yard to visit the neighbor cats. He's also cuddled up quite close to me at night, and during the day, wherever I am in the house, he wants to be close to me.

Amazing what being hurt and living in fear will do. It's not difficult to make the leap from a cat to a human in this situation. Every one of us has been hurt, deeply, in our lives. We've suffered wounds and when people have tried to come close and help, we've hissed cuz it hurts for them to touch it. At the same time, though, we know we need healing and help. Even though we are hurt and afraid, we long for a healing touch.

While Simon didn't come running to me for help and healing, I as his 'master' knew what I needed to do to help in the healing process. There was more exposure as his leg had to be shaved in order to see what the real problem was, and then there needed to be balm applied for healing.

We humans are sometimes afraid of being healed...I'm not sure why...I think it's because we have gotten used to the coping mechanisms we have developed, and we've coated the wounds ourselves for so long that the thought of someone shaving off the outer covering and exposing the real problem will be too much, too painful, and we are afraid.

To me, this shows just how little we (I) understand WHO my heavenly Father really is. It's tough to explain to an animal that the vet and I want the very best for him. Simon knows where he can find comfort and love and security and safety....near his mom.

Do we really know where we can find comfort, love and security that will never, ever fail? Let's curl up next to our heavenly Daddy and let Him bring that healing and love and safety we so desperately need every day!

No comments: