Saturday, August 09, 2008

Thoughts from "Emotionally Healthy Spirituality"

Peter Scazzero has written a couple of excellent books which I've read more than once now in the past few months. One is called "Emotionally Healthy Spirituality" and is a must-read, I believe, for every Christian believer, who is ready to come face to face with him/herself and allow God to do deep work inside. Here's just a couple of quotes from the book to make you ponder...

"Ultimately God chooses the length and level of intensity. He has a unique purpose for each of us, knowing how much there is to cleanse out of our inner being, and how much he wants to infuse of himself into us for his greater, long-term purposes. Our Father knows how much we can handle...."

"I rarely realize how attached I am to something until God removes it....When we put our claws into something and we don't want to take them out, we are beyond enjoying them. We now must have them.
The Wall, more than anything else, cuts off our attachments to who we think we ought to be, or who we falsely think we are. Layers of our counterfeit self are shed. Something truer, that is Christ in and through us, slowly emerges."

Ah the freedom of experiencing freedom only God can bring us to, out of the clutches of the past, the sin and the strongholds which can so easily entangle us! The "dark night of the soul" time is not enjoyable, but oh so necessary for growth! Thoughts?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't encountered a major "Wall" in my life yet. My prayer is that when I do, I will see it as an opportunity to grow in Christ, although I'm sure that will be the last thing I feel like doing.

Arden Campbell Czaszewicz said...

Yep, it is...but worth going through the wall.