Monday, August 15, 2005

Weekend fun!

ceo for the kids
About 150 of us boarded 3 buses to 3 different small towns here in Hungary on Saturday to experience museums, castles, wine-tasting, and food. As I sat on one bus with so many different nationalities, I just had to smile that here we all are communicating in Hungarian with one another....Germans, Americans, Austrians, Hungarians, Italians, Spaniards, French, Israelis......and resisting the temptation to break into our mother tongues with each other. I once heard a good joke: What language will we speak in Heaven? Answer: Hungarian, because it will take an eternity to learn it!
I'm definitely feeling that way starting this second week of intensive language classes; the vocabulary list grows, the grammar gets increasingly challenging, and when I open my mouth, I feel like I cannot speak a single sentence in Hungarian well or grammatically correct. But at the weekend, we had such fun trying to talk with each other, and correcting each others' Hungarian, showing lots of grace to one another. If nothing else from these two weeks, I've learned how some of my students feel, and I know it will affect my teaching when I go back to Szeged and start the new school year. Patience needs to be my middle name!

No comments: