Sunday, August 07, 2005

Feeling like a criminal

ceo for the kids
This morning, MJ and I hurried to the place where we thought a local church was meeting. When we arrived, there was no one there, as they were probably participating in a city wide event downtown. So, we decided to visit the DM, a drugstore, to pick up a few items we needed. We were the only two customers in the store, and as soon as we grabbed out shopping baskets, I noticed the in-store security guard began to pay very close attention to us. We turned down one aisle, and there he was at the other end of it, checking out every move we were making. We went to the next one, and again, there he was, eyeing our every step. I realized today that MJ and I must really look like shoplifters, or else the security guy was REALLY bored. My "introduction" to shopping in Debrecen. Following that adventure, we visited the fruit-veggie stand. As we were walking home, we found another stand, which had good looking bananas, so we stopped. The man at that stand was visibly upset that we had shopped at the stand around the corner and began to boast that his prices were much lower. He even took 29 forints off the price of the bunch of bananas to prove his point. I assured him we would come back to his stand next time...he said, "The only thing sure in life is death!" I "corrected" him and said, "And God!" He promptly responded with, "Which one?" I said, "The only True God!" So, here I embark on a new road of ministry: fruit-veggie man evangelism.

No comments: