Friday, May 28, 2010

Weeding

As I sat, knelt, squatted, stood, and leaned over in my garden yesterday pulling weeds galore, many thoughts and truths were running through my head and heart.

There are some really TOUGH weeds, with long, steadfast roots that can only be removed with much digging and perseverance!

Sometimes weeds and plants look very much alike...I now understand more thoroughly the biblical story of allowing the wheat and tares to grow up together; however, to the untrained gardening eye, (mine), I still can't tell the difference sometimes. Alas, I knew I'd made a mistake or two when the unmistakable smell of fresh basil was all over my gloves.

It was HOT yesterday...I was tired...my body was hurting toward the end of my weeding adventure, and there was still more to do, but I was just plumb worn out. Thankfully, God NEVER gets tired; He patiently perseveres in the garden of our hearts and souls, if we allow Him, tugging at the weeds which are so deeply rooted and which NEED to be removed if we are to move forward in His love for Him and for others. I so wanted to quit early...and while there is still more to do, I pushed through and got another hours worth of weeding in before stopping.

God never quits. Never. For the heart that is ready and willing for Him to come in and change us, He is ready to stay on the job til the garden is weed-free and lavishly producing good fruit.

The stark contrast between me and the Lord is the biggest truth that shone forth yesterday...my weak, fallen humaness pales in comparison to His persistent, perfect work and love.

No comments: