Wednesday, June 03, 2009

What a beautiful young man!!!

Today, I've received a "kiss" from the Lord and a clear confirmation of His grace and mercy.

Three students out of eleven in one of my classes chose to plaigairize very blatantly on a recent paper I gave them. So, I went into the class today and gently, but firmly and lovingly let them know the consequences and told them they could come talk with me if they had questions or wanted to talk.

One hour later, one of the young men came to see me.

"Miss Campbell, I want to tell you that I am so very sorry for what I did. It was wrong I know, but I struggle so much in writing correct sentences. I spent about 3-4 hours trying to write and I know I should not have copied from the internet or gotten help from my English teacher."

At this point, tears are rolling down his cheeks and tears are filling my eyes as well.

"Miss Campbell, please forgive me. I'm embarrassed that I did this."

True, heart-felt repentance. No excuses. No justifications. No blaming me or anyone else. Complete ownership, with a humility I've not seen in someone in a VERY long time. This young man was completely broken...broken over his sin, broken over his own short-comings, and tearfully apologizing and asking forgiveness.

We both stood there in the school hallway crying together. I reached out and took his arm and had him look me in the eye: "I forgive you and I am so proud of you; I respect you so very, very much and I see your heart so clearly; I love you so much and am so happy you came to talk to me!"

By this time tears are flowing from both of us! I asked him if I had hurt him in any way or had done something wrong, and he, once again, took full ownership and even said, "No, you haven't hurt me. Yes, I feel hurt, but it's a necessary hurt because I know you love me and want the best for me."

I was floored....this from a 17 year old Hungarian boy!

Am I giving him another chance? Of course!

I also told him that next year, when he is a senior, he needs to email me his papers and I will help him and correct them! A smile finally crossed his tear-streaked face.

"Thank you," he said, and I squeezed his arm again, told him that I don't think anything less of him, and in fact, I have such a love in my heart and a tremendous respect for him for coming and doing what he did.

What a beautiful young man...and what a sweet kiss from the Lord this was for me as it reminded me of the story of the Prodigal Son, whose brokenness, so genuine and so complete brought showers of love and forgiveness from the Father.

"Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you...."

"Bring the best robe and put it on my son!"

I want nothing but the absolute best for this student of mine, and for the other two boys as well...yet like the father in the biblical story, who did not go out searching for his lost son, but waited, expectantly, I wait expectantly, with arms open wide, ready to run and embrace these young men. I pray that day comes!

1 comment:

revtom said...

what an incredible story of living ans showing God's grace in the everyday... may God continue to show this boy His Grace and may this boy find real and lasting Peace.