Saturday, May 30, 2009

An opinion....

I decided I wanted to go to the movies this evening. So, I went online to check out which films are in English.

NOTHING...........

NADA..............

Ok, I could go and watch a movie that has been dubbed into Hungarian. In fact, Hungarians are very proud of their abilities and skills at dubbing films into their language, and well they should be because this is a definite skill.

However, I don't like watching films in Hungarian, especially ones that are originally in English. Maybe this is simply a personal preference, but this blog is simply my opinion.

My opinion on the topic is this: I think it's great Hungarians have the talented people in their nation to dub films. However, I believe this nation, by dubbing films is, in a way, isolating itself and alienating itself in the entertainment industry from a much wider audience within its borders. In addition, neighboring countries do not dub foreign films into their native languages and their peoples' abilities to speak languages like English, German, Spanish, etc., are a far cry above those of many Hungarians. I believe, as do others, that dubbing films, Cartoon Network and every other channel legally possible to dub, has had negative affects on foreign language acquisition in this nation.

In addition, the entertainment industry here is losing out on making money off the thousands of foreigners living in this nation who would go to the movies if they had the opportunity to watch films in their native languages. I realize I do not live in Budapest, the capital, where I am sure there are plenty of films in their native languages showing, but I do live in a large city, with a very large population of foreigners (many university students included) who would love to spend an evening at the movies...and would probably buy popcorn, snacks and drinks, and maybe even visit the stores and spend money in the mall where a large theatre is located. So, there is money lost in many areas as a result of dubbing films.

I would like to know if the entertainment industry has seen a tremendous jump in sales of tickets at the movie theatres as a result of 99.9% of films being dubbed into Hungarian. If so, then hats off to this nation for an excellent economic move. However, if the increase is minimal, or in a negative direction as a result of losing large audiences of foreign viewers of films, then maybe they should rethink dubbing all the foreign films that come in. Or at least show both languages in a theatre, maybe at different times during the day or in two different rooms.

Anyway, just my opinion as I sit here at home, typing on my blog and offering this nation none of my economic input, instead of going out to the movies, buying a big bag of popcorn, candy and a drink and shopping at the mall before the show starts.

Movies dubbed in Hungarian....something I will NOT miss when I return to the U.S.

1 comment:

Bende, Zoé or Abigél said...

Here here! I'm right with you on this one! Not that I have had much time to go to movies lately, but, in theory, I am right with you!