Monday, May 25, 2009

Ah, high school teaching....

Today was interesting. I asked a class to begin writing a 5-paragraph essay. Then I realized I'd not taught them how to do so. So, I began teaching them. As soon as I began, here's what unfolded from the mouths of my 11th grade bilingual students:

"Well, that's stupid!"

"Why would you start an essay that way?"

"That's not the way to write an essay!"

"Why does it have to be 5 paragraphs?"

Needless to say, I stopped teaching for a moment, and sort of unloaded. You see, some students in this particular class have been challenging this year. I know, I know, I will hear from people, "teenagers".....of course, I know that as I've been at this for 20 years. However, the incredible audacity of some students simply amazes me...maybe it shouldn't, but it does. (Can you tell it's the end of the year?)

Anyway, I tried to point out to them that them questioning me about how to write an essay is like me questioning one of the girls in my class who has won the european championship in dancing!!! It would be arrogant of me.

They settled down...and at the end of the lesson, one of the students thanked me for laying into the class like I did.

I love these kids...and I'm thankful for each one...and of course the reality hit me of how often I am like they were with me but with God! How often do I try to instruct Him on the best way to do things or let Him know what I know and that things should be done this way! Maybe not overtly, but I am just as cheeky as these students sometimes in my relationship with the Lord.

His ways are perfect...when will I learn shut my mouth and to trust Him to teach ME?

No comments: