Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Got pulled over...........

Sunday night, 5 of us were driving home from Kiskoros to Szeged when suddenly, a flashing flashlight in the middle of the road was beckoning us to pull over. It was the Hungarian Border Patrol!!! Mind you, we were no where close to a border....well, maybe within 90 km. When we pulled over, I said in my friendliest ENGLISH, "Hello!" One of the 3 border patrols started "yelling" at me that I need to turn off my bright lights when driving. I let my friend Melitta speak Hungarian for me....not that I couldn't have, but I've been "encouraged" to speak English when being pulled over.
So, this guy asks me for my passport...then he finds out all the details about me from Melitta, that I'm a teacher and a missionary, and the guy asks her if I'm a nun!!! Ha ha ha!!! It was tough not to laugh out loud at that question! Then he asked for the car papers. He never asked for my driver's license........very interesting! By this time, his two colleagues were of course very curious and had come over to see these 5 beautiful women in this car with "foreigner's" license plate. Thankfully, all my paperwork was in order and they let us drive on...my first excitement driving in Hungary!!!

No comments: