Thursday, September 08, 2005

Live TV

You know, at one point in my life, way back in high school, I thought I wanted to go into radio, television and film. In fact, during that infamous time in every 17 year old American's life, I was searching frantically for colleges and universities which had RTVF programs. Well, tonight convinced me that I made the right decision NOT to pursue that field. Yesterday, my boss at school asked me if I would do an interview for the local TV station as a foreigner who is here and is learning Hungarian. I thought, sure, I'll speak English and say a few words in Hungarian, they will edit the tape so it's very professional, and it will be great. Well, tonight when I arrive, I ask quite innocently, "So, is this going to be taped?" The person in charge said, "Uh, no, this is live TV!" I asked, "And do I speak English or Hungarian?" "Well, Hungarian of course!!!" My once beautiful, dry, blue blouse began to show serious signs of sweat stains under each arm almost immediately. And of course I had to sit there for over 1/2 an hour waiting for "our" turn......I was going on with a Hungarian woman who now lives in America! I sat there waiting for the camera to turn on, and white-knuckled the chair, and, of course, prayed that God would give me the gift of speaking in Hungarian! I can't even remember what I said, except for one sentence at the end when asked a favorite Hungarian word: Tele van a hocipom.......I'm fed up!!! It's a very funny expression in Hungarian, and made everyone in the studio burst into laughter, so if nothing else, I made people laugh. I walked out of there, reassured that being an English major and going into teaching was a MUCH better choice than live TV..........but, many would say, "You have to be "live" every day in front of your students." Yes, but somehow that is much easier........yet another picture of God's goodness in His callings on people's lives!

No comments: