Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Birthday Celebration

One of my "sons" from the children's home turned 21 yesterday! Last week, I decided to invite him out for dinner to help him celebrate his birthday. I'd already decided what I wanted to give him as a gift: two Christian worship cassettes and a Hungarian/English, English/Hungarian dictionary. So, I went to pick him up and asked him where he wanted to go. He'd asked one of the social workers at the home where we should go. We ended up at one of my favorite fish restaurants, and when we sat down, I gave him his gift. He opened it and a huge smile ran across his face; he gave me the traditional Hungarian kisses on the cheeks as a "thank you", but what he said next completely floored me. "I cannot remember the last time anyone did anything for me for my birthday. I've not had a birthday celebration like this ever in my life, and it's been 7 years since I've had any sort of birthday celebration. I've never gotten a gift!" I was speechless and immediately thought back on all the wonderful celebrations I've had throughout my life, the times when friends and family went all out to make my birthday special, and here this young man is, having his first "real celebration" and receiving his first "real gift" at age 21. Every day here brings a deeper perspective on what is really important in life. www.ceokids.org

No comments: