Saturday, March 08, 2008

Fire, water, wind and waves

I know that many out there have passed through raging fires, have faced waves, wind and floodwaters in their lives FAR, FAR beyond anything I have ever faced. I've just come out of a refining fire, and stormy floodwaters, and through it all God was and continues to be so very present. Of course there were times when I wondered "what is going on?" and "why is this happening?" The answer was always the same: "I'm allowing this for your good and MY glory." If we can remember every day that EVERYTHING that God does is good, then we will begin to understand His heart, but the only way to truly know His heart is to be in intimate relationship with Him, immersed in His Word, and surrendered completely to His good, perfect and loving hands and heart.

We used to sing a song a lot in Bible studies and today, this song has an entirely new meaning for me:

"Give thanks with a grateful heart, give thanks to the Holy One, give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ His Son; and now let the weak say 'I am strong', let the poor say 'I am rich', because of what the Lord has done, for us, give thanks."

I used to sing this song as sort of a "feel good" song of giving thanks; but after having been through a challenging, refining fire, I am understanding Paul's admonition to give thanks in ALL circumstances, for this is God's will for you IN Christ Jesus. It's not necessarily God's will that I am IN that circumstance, rather it is God's will for me that I GIVE THANKS!!! God will cause all things to work together for good to those who love Him and who are called according to His purpose. (Rom. 8:28) Even the flames and the floods and the waves....

No comments: