Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Acute hearing

This afternoon, I went into my kitchen and looked out the CLOSED window to see one of my cats, Toby, sitting quietly outside, about 30 feet away and one floor below me. I grabbed the plastic bag which holds the Whiskas food, and I saw Toby's head pop up and look up toward the window. Then I put the two plastic bowls down onto the tile in the window sill. Finally, I tore open the foil Whiskas bag...remember, the window was CLOSED! Yet, Toby heard it all and came running for his dinner!!! Now THAT is acute hearing!

As I set the bowls full of food onto the floor, the Lord spoke very clearly into my heart: "Your hearing of MY voice needs to be THAT acute." There is only one way to develop that kind of hearing and that is by spending time with God, in His Word and in prayer and worship, so that even when we are sitting idly by, just relaxing and enjoying life, we can hear His voice, even "from a distance" and "through a 'closed' window".

No comments: