Saturday, January 22, 2005

Swimming and spirituality

ceo for the kids
I try to swim at least twice or three times a week, largely as therapy after my second back surgery in 15 years! I love it, and just this week, the Lord impressed a lesson on my heart while I was doing my usual 1000 meters of back stroke in the local pool. I wear swim goggles and usually, at about 600 meters, they begin to get foggy, making it difficult to see the roof above me...the dome which covers this pool during the cold winter months. Well, on this particular evening, I got water in my goggles on the first leap into the pool.......therefore, after 200 meters, my goggles were sufficiently foggy. Personally, I like being able to see, so this "early fogging" was a bit disturbing to me. It dawned on me that I could, with my peripheral vision, see the dividing lane marker between the lanes, and thus, could stay on the straight path in my lane as I and about 7 other people did our evening circles up and back in the same lane. This lane marker became an essential part of that swim that night, and the Lord, in His great mercy, drove home a very good point with me: My Word is like this lane marker; if you stay focused on Me and My Word, you will "swim" straight, without slamming into other people, veering off course, or hitting the wall and injuring yourself. The meters passed quickly after that as I rejoiced at focusing on the lane marker, even if the things "in front of" me were foggy. "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith."

No comments: