Friday, January 07, 2005

New Books!

ceo for the kids

If you have ever spent any time in central or eastern europe in the winter months, you know that they are quite grey, and the days are rather short. Reading can become a favorite past-time since the chill of winter combined with the darkness lends itself to one lying under a warm comforter with a cup of hot tea and devouring a good book! I'm currently reading a very good book called Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. I got turned onto it by a friend in the U.S. who encouraged me to read this as a result of sharing some thoughts/struggles/experiences I'm having here in Hungary. As I was just about to fall asleep last night reading, the last sentence in a chapter grabbed my eye and jolted me awake. The chapter is on "Community" and includes many challenging thoughts for someone like me who is single, living alone, and enjoying my solitude, while, of course, still longing for community. The line that kept me awake and thinking and then rolled through my thoughts throughout the day today is this: "If we are not willing to wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are really following Jesus." (Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller, p. 185) I can't really add anything to this, except to say that I think I'd like to make this sentence my "New Year's Resolution" in a way, because when it is all said and done, life really isn't about us; it's about Jesus and His glory!

No comments: