Monday, August 23, 2010

Driving

As of today, I have logged over 1700 miles on my rental car in 12 days! Today, as I was driving to Charlotte, NC, cars ahead of me, all going 70 mph, began to swerve to miss something in the road. I caught a glimpse of what it was...a very large piece of shredded tire from a truck. As drivers would approach this piece of rubber, they would swerve to try to miss it, but instead, they would hit it, flinging it and consequently cause the next driver to swerve another way to try to miss this dangerous road hazard.

I got to thinking of how nonchalantly we can be cruising along in life, going with the flow, when suddenly people around us begin making quick moves or start doing things out of the ordinary in order to avoid striking something harmful, but in the process, everyone around them is affected. Sometimes, in our attempts to avoid an "accident", we could be causing another one in our wake.

Back to driving many miles....tomorrow, I will log some of the last "long" miles on this wonderful rental car, driving from Winston-Salem to Raleigh, NC. Along the way, I will see 2 former students from my Covenant days, and my first teammate in Hungary in 1991!

I am going to need a few days...if not a couple of weeks....to process all the conversations I've had with people. It's been a great two weeks of reconnecting with many, and I am so thankful to have had the opportunity! Honestly, I have to admit I'm very excited to get back home to Kansas City, see my cats, and sleep in my own bed!

No comments: