Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thermal baths and chess?


Yep, that's me on the left and my friend, Joanna Foley, playing chess in the middle of a round, thermal bath in Szeged, Hungary! Sadly for me, Joanna won the game...

One of the great blessings, among many, of living here in Szeged are these wonderful baths and saunas we can enjoy. A full-access ticket costs about $9 now, but it is worth every penny as you can enjoy all saunas and baths for as long as you want to stay that particular day!

The country of Hungary sits on top of many thermal waters and the nation has become known around the world as a wonderful "spa" nation. Various thermal waters around the country help with different "ailments", from rheumatism to arthritis, etc. I believe every major city and many smaller towns have these thermal baths where relaxation and rest is the goal! And my friends and I did just that this past Saturday! Personally, my favorite baths are located in Debrecen, where you can sit outside, even in winter, in a hot thermal bath!

No comments: