Saturday, September 03, 2011

growth

Yes, the cucumber is the size of my forearm and larger than my foot!


Growth. It's either happening or there is stagnation. We have a bean plant that has not done super well this year. Two days ago, I spied a bean on it...then two, and after closer examination, I saw about 7 beans on our plant. Of course I picked them and promptly brought them inside to clean them and include them in the evening meal. Their growth would provide our nutrition for us to give out to others and cause them to grow.

Sometimes cucumbers 'hide' in our garden, and it's not until they are WAY too large that I find them. Above is a picture of one such cucumber...I wear a size 10 in ladies (40 in european sizes). One might think the bigger the better...however, that is not always true. In this case, the cucumber is too large, and it has become bitter. So, it ends up in the compost pile, to be tilled back into the ground for next years' crop. It's overgrowth will provide nutrition for next year's garden growth. While it was inedible, it will be useful in the long run.


No comments: