Thursday, March 11, 2010

After 8 months...observations about the U.S.

I have now been back in the United States for just over 8 months, after having lived in Hungary and travelled extensively for 9 years (with short visits to the U.S. sprinkled in during those 9 years). It's hard to believe 8 months have passed...while it feels like just yesterday I was standing at the airport in Budapest with tears rolling down my cheeks bidding my dear friends Barb, Klari and Franci goodbye, it also feels like that was a long time ago, largely because so much has happened in my life since that departure day in June, 2009.

Before arriving in the U.S., I decided that I needed to put on my "observation" eyes, and with that, keep my mouth quiet and my heart open to receive, learn, grow, and not judge. You see, one cannot but change living in a foreign country, and truth be told, I have often felt like a foreigner here in the U.S. in the past 8 months. Yes, I was born in the U.S., I am an American citizen (according to my passport and birth certificate), and my native language is U.S. English. However, I adopted many cultural habits and characteristics of my adopted home of Hungary...I pray I hang on to the positive and let any of the negative disappear. Back to observation mode.

I opted to observe: people, things, institutions, some t.v., and I want to share some of the most poignant observations I have made, Lord willing, without sounding judgemental, because that is not my intent at all.

Most of this reflection has to do with what I've observed on T.V. Mind you, I watch VERY little T.V. and do not have cable, but on occasion, I have turned it on and have had my "observation" glasses on. Here are some conclusions I've reached:

---American culture is fast becoming addicted to medications. Nearly every second T.V. commercial is about a prescription medication that will not CURE the said illness or disease it purports to address, but rather help the person who takes it "cope" with that illness or disease. In other words, it appears we've become a culture that is promoting dependency upon medications rather than pursuing a healthy, medication free life-style.

---American culture is fascinated with the paranormal, especially witchcraft (this is what many of those shows are all about, at the heart of them!); yet many churches are devoid of young people and the power of God moving in them.

---American culture seems to love watching conflict: eg. shows like Judge Judy and the other three or four court-room shows on in the afternoons.

Now moving on to observations of institutions and people:

---The American church, myself included, is in dire need of learning what it means to love one another and live out what Jesus said, "They will know you are My disciples by the way you love one another." I long for the day when those who do not have a living relationship with Jesus look at me and my believer friends and say, "Wow, you guys really love each other like nothing I've ever seen before! I want that kind of love! And Who is it that fills you with that love?"

---Some Americans appear to like and be satisfied with what I am calling "text friendships". (for those overseas: sms friendships). Because of the fast-pace of life, the busy-ness of most people, and the convenience of cell phone texting, this method of communication has become a norm for many, and the flesh on flesh, life on life interaction, to me, has become much less common.

For today, this should be enough to chew on. Adjusting to a new culture, even if it is my "mother culture" is challenging as I often feel a bit like a foreigner. I understand the Bible's statement that our citizenship is in heaven more than ever before! I bless the United States in the name of Jesus, I bless you! Amen and amen!

No comments: