Sunday, August 19, 2007

More on Freedom...

If you are tired of hearing cat stories, then stop reading now. If you can endure one more "lesson about freedom" via my cats, Toby and Simon, then read on.
I let my cats out into the yard this morning...after about 4 hours, I decided they needed to come in. So, I went out calling for them, and Toby came bounding my way, just wanting attention; he did NOT want to go inside. I kept calling for Simon, to no avail. I looked under the bushes where his favorite place to lay is, and no Simon. I searched everywhere, inside and outside. No Simon. I thought, "Well, it's finally happened, one of my cats is gone..."
As I walked toward the stairwell, I looked over at the 10 foot wall which separates our yard from the neighbors', and there was Simon, perched on the top of the wall, acting as though he owned the wall! My second worst fears had come true: Simon had learned how to climb the tree and get into the neighbor's yard! So, I went to get a ladder to try to coax him down. As soon as I set up the ladder, he scurried off to an even higher part of the wall, hidden by tree branches. Safe, he stretched out and went to sleep on the top of the wall. Meanwhile, back under the bushes, Toby is curled up sleeping in Simon's old place, completely out of my reach. Both are happy as clams, and free. This must be a bit what parents feel when their kids are "testing their wings" and beginning to fly the coop. I suppose giving a 9 year old cat some freedom to wander is ok. I'm very thankful for the freedom God gives me!

No comments: