Thursday, November 09, 2006

Alone on a Train

After a full day of Christmas shopping in Budapest at the end of October, I boarded the afternoon inter-city train to Szeged. When I found my seat, I noticed a young man, maybe 22 years old, helping a young girl, maybe 8 or 9 years old, get settled in her seat. Once she was set, he said goodbye, and this 8-9 year old girl was left alone on the train.

I made a mental note, as did the people sitting across the aisle from her I'm sure, that I was going to keep an eye on her the whole way and make sure she arrived safely to wherever and to whomever would meet her in Szeged.

I believe most Americans would find it unconscionable to put a 9 year old girl on a train, alone, for a journey of nearly 3 hours. But this is Hungary, and she reached her destination safely, even enjoying a sandwich and drink along the way.

The Lord reminded me that He, like me with the girl, never lets us out of His sight, keeps us safe, and will make sure we reach or final destination, sometimes, we may have to travel alone, and there will be scary, uncertain hours, but He's promised never to leave nor forsake us.

2 comments:

Me said...

I remember when I got to ride the train alone...that was so much fun.
Christmas markets already?!
Wow...
I miss it.
Katie

Arden Campbell Czaszewicz said...

No Christmas markets....just me shopping for Christmas. Can't wait for the markets! :-)