Thursday, October 26, 2006

Cocoons and butterflies

The word "cocoon" came up during lessons this week as some of my classes and I discussed the exciting topic of plants and animals. We were talking about the names of the "babies" of various animals....eg. dogs - puppies, cats - kittens. We came to butterflies and said caterpillars. Then we talked about how the caterpillars go into a cocoon and are transformed into beautiful butterflies.

I asked my students if they'd ever seen a butterfly trying to get out of its cocoon, and watched the struggle. I asked if they knew what would happen if someone comes along, during the struggle, and "helps" the butterfly break out of its cocoon. No one knew....so I told them. "If we see a struggling butterfly trying to break out of its cocoon, and try to help it along by tearing away the outer cocoon, then the butterfly will die very quickly. You see, in the process of the struggle, the butterflies' wings are being strengthened, so that it can fly and live as it was intended. Trying to "reduce its apparent suffering or struggle" actually is detrimental to the butterfly and quickly brings death instead of life.

Obviously, it was an easy transition to discuss human life and the struggles that individuals face in life...and there are times when we need to let people struggle through the "cocoons" in their lives; yes we can cheer them on, speak words of encouragement, but we should not necessarily try to "remove" the "cocoon" because it is in that person pushing through that he or she will come out strong and will be prepared for his or her future life as a new butterfly!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kedves Adren,
Szeretettel udvozletem from U.S.A.
I am a visual Artist & I am very proud of you, to see you in my beloved birthplace, foreverLOVE Szeged.

The Lord Bless your Life!
Ede Szeged told about you, he is a song writer and Christian Blessed Musician. After I searched the net, and find you with the Lord, this marvelous "blog" like a diary.

Please read my book:
Title:
" I MET THE LORD IN NEW YORK "
Jozsef Attila Tudomany Egyetem Szeged Library, also Szechenyi National Library Budapest, Library of Congress Washington D.C. MOMA The Museum of Modern Art New York Library, Yale University Fine Books Collection.
(az angol forditas nem a legjobb, parhuzamos forditas, magyar angol, Glory to God!! es siettunk, legkozelebb jobb lesz :) de a Szent Szellemmel az uzenet volt a lenyeg a kenettel, nem az angol tokeletesseg akkor)

Nagyon tetszik Adren, ahogy irod a naplod!
Aldas az eletedre!

Love in Christ, Toti
press@foreverlastingart.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Arden,

Sorry about your name spelling i made a mistake before,

Szeretettel Love in Christ, Toti U.S.A.

Anonymous said...

Dear Arden!

This is Elena Kryzhanovskaya. I hope you're doing well! I found this blog through Tom Foley's site.

I've been thinking a lot about you lately because I'm teaching ESL in Houston, Texas, and I need help. I remember that you were the first person who actually taught me how to write. Do you have a store pile of lesson plans or do you just use a particular book? Also, how do you teach reading comprehension for your advanced classes? I know you are really busy, so I understand if you do not have time to answer these ridiculously broad questions.
But if you have a chance, would you please email me at yelenakryzh@gmail.com and point me to an ESL light?

God bless,

Elena