Sunday, July 31, 2005

Wait! This is not what I expected!

ceo for the kids
I tried to visit a church this morning, one which I've visited a number of times before. I was a few minutes late, and did not hear the usual praise and worship songs belting from the street-side windows. I went inside, and noticed in the room where there are usually tables set up with books and tapes, were mattresses and sleeping bags. I went into the room where the church normally meets, and a group of unfamiliar faces was sitting on the floor in a circle, still in PJs, being very silent and journaling, I think. I looked in, walked out, poked my head back in to make sure I didn't know anyone, and then turned to leave, a bit confused. That is definitely not what I expected!!! As I walked home in the sweltering heat, I asked the Lord, "So, what do we do now?" The church has obviously changed locations, at least for this week, and my morning plans had changed as well. However, the Lord brought to my heart two Truths: first, God does the unexpected, and it is always GOOD! Second, He reminded me of the Truth that He is the same, yesterday, today and forever! He is unchanging, and I can worship Him whether I'm in a church building or in my living room at home because HE is the same everywhere!!! Circumstances in our lives change; people come and go; even the weather, sweltering hot today, in 6 months will be freezing cold; but GOD NEVER CHANGES!!! Who He is, the great I AM, is the Rock upon which we can stand. And the things that Jesus did in His days on this earth are the same things He said we would do after He ascended into Heaven and poured out His Holy Spirit into our hearts. The unchanging God is in the business of changing us, sometimes unexpectedly, if we let Him, so that we are more like His Son Jesus. I am thanking God that there was no church meeting there this morning, because during my walk back home, the Lord chose to give me the "sermon" He wanted me to hear from Himself!

No comments: