Thursday, February 07, 2013

The state of education

My hubby texted me yesterday afternoon telling me that three of his fourth graders had been suspended.

These are 10 year olds.

One was suspended for popping a classmate in the head.

Two were suspended for bullying.

Last week, another fourth grader was suspended....he's now been suspended twice since the 3rd of January.

Apparently, there are other students in this elementary school being suspended as well.  It's about time.  The school just got a new administrator who is not afraid to lower the boon on these kids and their unacceptable behavior which is keeping teachers from teaching and other students from learning.  

As we were driving out to an appointment last night, I asked Paul if he had EVER been suspended from school.  Neither one of us was....EVER.  And here he is facing 10 year olds who NEED to be suspended...and the stories continue...first graders punching teachers in the eye, a second grader dislocating the shoulder of a teacher.  

And then teachers are told that they need to be kind, loving and gentle with these kids, building their self-esteem.  We are seeing the results of the "feel-good" approach to education.

As I told Paul last night, I lived in a good fear of my parents, the administration of the school and I respected my teachers too much to be disrespectful.  It breaks my heart to hear stories like I get to hear now every day.  I completely understand why more and more families are choosing homeschooling...I sure would!  

No comments: