Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Love and honor

Nearly two and a half years ago now, groups of friends in Szeged, Hungary loved me well. I had a number of "circles" of friends as a result of teaching in a local high school, helping to lead an international Christian fellowship, serving at a local children's home, and serving local churches. If I remember correctly, three different very special going-away parties were thrown for me by various circles of friends. I was reminded of those parties this weekend as I helped to throw a going away party for friends here in Kansas City.

I supposed I was struck this weekend, in a positive way, by how amazingly I was loved by my Hungarian and international friends in Hungary. I knew that and know that still, but was made acutely aware of it again as we celebrated these wonderful Kansas City friends.

I remember walking through the gate of my friends' home in Hungary and being greeted by over 75 people from various churches across the city as they sang a worship song and surprised me with my first of the three parties. I stood and cried, feeling very loved by all of these precious friends. Similarly, I recall arriving at my friend Krisztina's home, walking through the gate to their backyard and hearing "Surprise!!" yelled by more than 20 colleagues from my school...Again, I stood there, humbled, completely surprised (which is hard to do) and feeling super loved.

These memories came flooding back because I was loved sooooooooooo well by all of these people....SO WELL. At the time, I don't think I realize just how well I was loved and honored. That reality of honor and love came screaming back to the surface this weekend as my precious friends here, who are moving away, were loved and honored by some of their friends.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

present tense sweetheart :) and we love you so much - still 8) (remember???)
and you are in our prayers and stories told! pepus

Anonymous said...

Yes: we STILL love you ;) Anita