Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Taking the prophetic to the "streets"

Today, I met a new friend who is helping me with some landscaping at my house. She and another friend were going to get pedicures and I pretty much invited myself to go along with them because I too needed a pedicure as my last one was nearly a year ago!

When we finished and were paying, one of the men who works there called out to my friend, Linda, and asked her to come and pray for a female client whose nails are cracking. Linda called me over to join her to pray and ask God to heal this woman's hands. Well, immediately, we sensed the power of the Holy Spirit enter the room and the Lord began to give me specific words about this woman. I am still not very confident in this gifting the Lord is growing in me, and here we were, not in a church setting of any sort and just stepping out by faith. So, I ask the woman a question regarding what I believed the Lord was putting on my heart regarding her...she confirmed that indeed that was true. Then God got more specific, and so I asked another question...the girl was FLOORED and as we continued to pray for her, the presence of the Lord was so strong and her life was touched in a significant way, we truly believe!

One of the young ladies who works in this salon was watching us (well, everyone in the place was watching us), and she made her way to a chair very close to us. I asked her if we could pray for her, and she agreed. Immediately, God in His precious goodness began to speak to both me and Linda about her. When we finished praying, she had a big smile on her face, visibly encouraged by the Lord's precious words toward her.

I don't share this to bring any attention to me or my friends, but ONLY to lift up the name of Jesus, "For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy." (Revelation 19:10) The book of Joel declares that in the latter days, God is going to pour out His Spirit on ALL people and amongst the spiritual gifts is prophecy, which is for the building up of people in their inner persons! "Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy." (Joel 2:28) I share this because the apostle Paul encourages us to seek the gifts, especially that we would prophesy! "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy." (1 Corinthians 14:1)

Prophecy is for today! I was raised in a church tradition that traditionally teaches that some of the gifts have "ceased" to exist, one being prophecy. With all honor and love and respect to that church tradition, I am experiencing a different reality and that is that God does speak to His children about His children for their comfort, exhortation and encouragement. I am humbled beyond words that God chooses to use me, sinner, fallen, and weak though I am, to declare His love and truths to those I know and even random people in nail salons! He is SO good and wants to love all those He has created in every way possible! Thank you, Lord for blessing ME today in such a powerful way!

No comments: