Monday, June 07, 2010

I don't want to go out and weed!

As I gaze out at my garden while drinking a cold glass of homemade ice tea, I think of how pretty it looks from afar. My tomato plant has gone hog-wild and the other veggies are exploding as well!

However, I can also see that more work needs to be done; yes, more weeding. It seems to be a DAILY affair. (I now appreciate my father more than words can express as he daily visited the garden when we were growing up, and I always wondered why he spent so much time out there...now I know in part...he was weeding!)

Do you ever wake up and hear the Lord say, "I need to do some weeding in the garden of your heart. See that thing there? It's growing and needs to come out. That one over there, that strained relationship? Well, you have fertilized your thoughts to the point where now you have some deep roots, and I'm gonna have to dig deep to free you from the bitterness which has set in. Oh, those little weeds over there? Yep, they need to come out too." What do we do? We rush off to start our day and promise to get back to the Lord later, so He can do His weeding.

It would be SO much easier if we just sat down, opened the Word, opened our hearts and let Him enter in, daily, and do the weeding.

So, I'm off to my garden for an hour or so...to weed. Fun.

No comments: