Friday, February 22, 2008

3rd bird in the house

Well, Toby has finally gotten very smart about his hunting. He does it when mom is not home. So mom comes home yesterday and what does she find? Bird feathers near all the shoes by the front door, and Toby, hunched over the remaining few feathers and head of a small bird. Yes, he finally caught one, killed it and had eaten it before mommy got home. I was not happy to have to clean up the bird's head...and Toby didn't want me to take it away from him. I'm sure he was so very proud of himself and definitely full! Frankly, I was disgusted.

Ok, ok, I know it is their natural instinct, and I'm not complaining about what Toby did...he did what comes naturally. However, I still want to ponder some thoughts if we bring this to the human level.

Have any of us ever simply acted on instinct and that instinctive act has led us to devour someone "innocent"? Have we ever stopped in the middle of "what we've always done" and asked ourselves, "how might this be affecting the other person?" Then do we conclude, "Well, this is what I've always done and they simply need to adjust;" or are we willing to try to see things from the other persons' perspective and make changes so that person can live, move, and be who they need to be?

Of course Toby would not set the bird free...but are we, as people, willing to set others free, and in doing so, experience the joy of mutual giving and taking in relationship with one another, looking not only to our own interests but also to the interests of others?

No comments: