Saturday, January 07, 2006

Swimming lesson #3,427

I always seem to learn something when I go swimming! Last night, after jumping in and getting into my typical backstroke, I was cruising along, keeping my eye out for the wire that "warns" me that 10 strokes later, I need to turn before slamming into the wall. As I swam, I thought, "Gee, I'm really out of shape because this is taking me FOREVER to get to the other end of the pool," when SLAM......my right wrist slammed onto the end of the pool and I smashed my head against the wall. (Luckily, not too hard!) Pain shot through my wrist and arm, but upon moving it, I was sure I had not broken it. A bit embarrassed as the guys in the lane next to me looked at me as I gathered myself together, I immediately started back up the lane again. I thought to myself, "Is the wire above the pool at the other end? I need to pay close attention!" It was.....and 10 strokes after the wire, I flipped over (I always swim backstroke) and took my one stroke toward the wall. What is the lesson I gleaned from the "missing wire"? I began thinking about the "wires" in our lives as Christians....the markers....and of course, the most important one is the Word of God. If we are not immersed in the Word of God, asking the Holy Spirit to guide and direct our thoughts and reveal His Truths to us through the Word, then we are bound to SLAM into the wall, and get bruised, or worse. Take away the guidelines of Truth, and we are left guessing where we are, where the dangers are, where we are going, and what will it be like when we get there. Thank you Father, for this vital lesson. I need your Truth, every day, every moment, at every turn, in order to make every decision, so that I don't slam into the wall and break something. www.ceokids.org

No comments: