Sunday, January 29, 2006

On friends and friendship

These are very interesting days for me, during which I'm so "spent" that I all I can "handle" is receiving from God and from others. This is a strange place for me to be, a giver at heart, and a good place. I'm learning much about friends and friendship, "safe" friends and those who aren't so "safe". I'm learning anew about the "Friend who sticks closer than a (sister)" who meets every need, no matter what, totally and completely, without fail.

Most Hungarians have very few what they would call "friends". They have many acquaintances......most Americans, myself included, would say I've got lots and lots of friends.....and lots of acquaintances too. Hungarians would not call someone they've not spoken to in 6 months a friend, however; whereas an American probably would still call that person "friend."

A very important lesson I'm learning is that receiving from friends is just as important and significant as giving to friends....this seems like a 'no-brainer', but for how many of us is it much easier to give than it is to receive? To receive means opening up the heart, being vulnerable beyond the 'norm', and trusting in new ways. It means walking in unchartered territory sometimes...being willing to be seen for who you really are, and be loved and totally accepted in that state, and even cherished and missed! This is how God sees us....and He adores us....beyond what we could ever comprehend or imagine! It's really cool when He gives us that kind of a friend on earth as well, to be a tangible picture of Himself. www.ceokids.org

No comments: