Monday, November 21, 2005

Hungarian funeral

Today I attended my third funeral during my 5 1/2 year life here in Hungary. My 71 year old neighbor, Etelka, died and I and all the neighbors attended her funeral. Etelka lived with her daughter in the flat next to mine, and I learned just yesterday that they had lived together for 31 years. So Kati, her daughter, is feeling a tremendous loss. We all are. Despite the fact that 80% of the time Etelka was complaining about some physical malady, she was a "tough old bird", weekly bringing the laundry outside to hang in the sunshine. She took excellent care of my cats, and they are now letting Kati know how much they miss her by sleeping on Etelka's bed when they go to visit Kati. Funerals here are different than in the U.S. There is real closure here.....everyone walks to the gravesite, the body or urn is lowered into the grave, and the gravediggers shovel the dirt on top of the urn or coffin. Many may shudder at the thought of hearing the "THUD, THUD, THUD" of the dirt, and I shuddered when I heard it the first time 3 years ago, but the reality of ashes to ashes and dust to dust, and the finality of physical life is experienced in this ceremony. Following the burial, the gravediggers place all of the gorgeous flower arrangements that people have brought on top of the grave....a colorful display of life emerging from the grave. I will miss Etelka....in the last 4 months, she was always wanting to give me a hug....I think she needed some extra love these last few months. I pray she is basking in the eternal loving arms of Jesus now! www.ceokids.org

No comments: