Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Helping or hindering?

There is an incredible power in words. As James said, our tongues are powerful tools, which can be used as weapons or as means of healing. I've experienced and extended both, and at this point in my life, I don't have time for stinging words, intended in some strange way to "bring healing", but which only continue to exert power and domination. For me, Ephesians 4:29 is vital in every relationship: "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only that which is helpful for building others up according to their need." Here's the tricky part though: what I believe will build someone up may not do so, and visa versa. When that person shares that I have hurt them with my words, I must be quick to apologize, ask for forgiveness, and seek, in the future, to build that person up according to his or her needs, not according to my perception of what his or her needs may be. Of course this can only be done in the power of the Holy Spirit as He reveals what the needs of that person are and what words will bring healing and will minister deeply to that person's needs. Lord, make me teachable, humble, able to hear Your voice, that the words I speak would build people up and not tear them down. Help me to die to myself and to live only for You, to walk in the power of your Word, hearing Your voice alone, speaking only that which You want me to speak in order to meet the needs of those You have put into my life. May I be willing to hear the rebukes of a friend, repent, ask for forgiveness, confront, rebuke, and grant forgiveness in every situation in my life. More than anything, Lord, let me walk so closely with You that any competing voices would be silenced, and we dance together to the melodious music which You have written for my life. Amen. www.ceokids.org

No comments: