Sunday, February 13, 2005

Squeaks and spirituality

ceo for the kids
As I was coming home from meeting some friends yesterday, I could hear that one of my Z-coil heels was squeaking badly. These are very cool, comfortable, healthy shoes that have springs for heels. I had just gotten a pair of the hiking boots for Christmas from my parents and had been wearing them almost daily through the winter here in Szeged. The squeaking was disturbing me enough to think that there was something seriously wrong and I should look into it. So, I took off my boots when I got home and unscrewed the heel to examine the problem. I tried compressing the spring with my fingers and as I did so, "POP!" a vital piece of the heel broke off!!! To my dismay, I realized that there was no way I could just "reach in" and retrieve the broken piece as this is an enclosed heel. Broken and useless. Now I cannot wear these heels (I can attach the open heeled springs and continue wearing the shoes). Broken. Needing to be repaired.
Like this heel, the Lord sometimes gives us a "squeaking" noise and wants us to heed what He is saying. But unlike this heel, He does not want us to take things into our own hands and try to fix it. Instead, He wants us to come to Him and let Him repair what is broken. When we try to fix things, they break, inevitably. When we give things to Him, He perfects them. There are many such accounts in the Bible of Jesus healing the "squeaks" in people's lives; paralytics being healed and not just healed but fully restored and in full strength! People being raised from the dead, not to a weakened state, but FULLY alive! I need to heed the "squeaks" and immediately run to Jesus and ask HIM to heal completely and perfectly.

No comments: