Saturday, February 12, 2005

Sad pictures

ceo for the kids
I could hear him screaming, shouting at someone rather. I couldn't understand anything except "give me the wallet!" As I came closer, I could see them, two gypsies (a minority ethnic group here in Hungary), and the man was screaming loudly at the woman, whom I'd seen before. I began to pray as I approached them. At first, my prayers were selfish: "Lord, please protect me around them." Then the Holy Spirit convicted me immediately: "YOU are already protected! PRAY for THEM!" OUCH. So, I began praying for them, especially for her. As usual, she was completely strung out on something, drugs or alcohol or both. The man was obviously upset about something to do with money. She tried to flee, but he went after her....I prayed for her protection, that he would not hit her. As I got to my door, I looked back to see him holding her by her elbow and pulling her down the street. I felt so helpless and continued to pray for her protection, for them to somehow come to know Jesus, for them to be freed from the shackles that bind them. Many would say, "Well, this is life....there is nothing really we can do." Indeed, it is when there is no hope, when the enemy is allowed to gain a foothold, when Jesus is pushed to the wayside and the spirit of this age is allowed to run rampant. The Apostle Paul admonishes us to realize that our battle is NOT against flesh and blood, but against the powers and principalities of this present darkness. (Ephesians) I thank the Lord for the tangible, physical reminder, right before my eyes, of the need to pray, to do battle in the spiritual realm. There IS indeed something we can do and it is more powerful than any physical intervention: pray.

No comments: